Husqvarna ST224 Snow Blower Review
The Husqvarna ST224 snow blower is known for one thing, and that's moving a ton of snow. That is to say, when you've got up to three feet of snow on your driveway and walkway and have to clear it in a single pass -- otherwise, you'll have a giant wall of packed ice left behind that will be impossible to clear without a good deal more labor and equipment - then the Husqvarna ST224 is just the ticket for getting that done quickly.
An electric starter is standard on the Husqvarna model 224. Depending on when spring arrives, this may really help you avoid straining your back while attempting to start it up by tugging on the starter cord. A grip throttle is also included. When it's time to use the equipment for its intended purpose, you'll appreciate this little thing.
Husqvarna ST224 Snow Blower Features
This gas powered snow blower offers a lot of features, which you'll appreciate every time you use it.
- The big chute lets you aim the snow wherever it needs to go. This is very handy when your driveway slopes in different directions - or when friends and neighbors are coming over unexpectedly through the back yard!
- Self-propelled for smooth, effortless movement.
- Six adjustable speeds for different types of terrain
- The electric start feature is great on gas powered models. It saves your back from straining while pulling the starter cord to get it going.
- This model has an adjustable handle that can be set in several different positions for optimum comfort and ease of use.
- The heated grips work well even in below zero weather, so its unlikely you'll be tempted to pick up a pair of gloves just because your hands get cold during the process.
- A powerful 208 cc 4-stroke engine powers this snow blower, which will clear most types of snow, but it's really intended for deep drifts that other shovels and snowblowers can't reach.
- The Husqvarna ST224's footprint is 24 inches wide, the handlebars are 23 inches from the ground and have a 22-degree forward bend. With the help of the self-propelled model, you shouldn't have any trouble with the Husqvarna ST224 clearing even wet heavy snow, especially with the help of it's standard power steering!
My Experience Using The ST224
I have used the ST224 quite extensively, and here's how it performed in more detail:
- In terms of stability and comfort, the Husqvarna ST224 offers a great range of adjustment options: All four wheels can be locked in place with levers on each side, and the handlebar itself has three possible angles of incline. Adjustments are easy to make but sturdy enough that they won't move around by accident. And I found it pretty comfortable to operate overall, probably due in part to its center-mounted engine configuration which makes it feel less top-heavy than models with rear-mounted engines.
- And for pushing this blower around the self-propelled model with power steering is surprisingly easy to manage!
- The Heated Hand Grips are amazing. They're a luxury you don't appreciate until you use them.
- This thing burns clean: After several uses its spark plug was still pristine (no oily build-up), and even after running all day its exhaust tube would be cool enough to touch when I finally shut it down.
So what's my conclusion?
Husqvarna put together an amazing machine for the money. This thing is powerful and reliable, and very much designed to last. It also heats up your hands toasty warm (important for those who live where it's cold, which is you, if you need a snow blower).
When it comes to snow removal, nothing beats a gas-powered machine. Electric snow blowers are great for lighter duties, but when the big stuff hits the fan, only a gas model will be able to handle it. The Husqvarna ST224 is one of these machines. It's sturdy and reliable enough to clear away any type of winter precipitation with ease.
If you do plan on using it in wet conditions definitely get some good traction boots or chains for your shoes so they don't slip out from underneath you.
That being said, if you're in the market for a new snow blower then this thing is definitely worth a look! Just keep in mind that it's loud and heavy, so only get one of these if you have a place to store it where it won't bother anyone.
In any case, I hope this review has been helpful to anyone who was considering buying the Husqvarna ST224, and that by shedding some light on its pros and cons I've been able to help you come to an informed decision about whether or not to get one of these for yourself...
Please take a moment to share this article using the buttons below, and don't forget to follow me on Twitter, or Facebook!
Thanks for reading!